Tianzi Mountains appear to be an artistic collection of rocks planted onto earth like pegs used to keep record of the Scrabble score. The peaks are located in China in the Wulingyuan area and the tallest of them is 1262.5 meters.
Etymology; How it got the Name
Xiang Dakun was a leader of an ethnic group during the last few years of Song Dynasty. When Dakun led a revolution he named himself Tianzi; Son of Heaven. There are many sites in the Tianzi Mountains which tell the story of Dakun. A few most popular of these sites are the Yu Bi Peaks, the Xian Nü San Hua, and the Shen Bing Ju Hui.
Around the Tianzi Mountains
The Shen Bing Yu Ju Hui peaks look like soldiers standing in formation. Interestingly, there is a legend about these peaks as well. The girl who loved him went to look for him and she became a statue between the cliffs. The Yu Bi peaks also have a story. It is said that Xiang Dakun’s brushes changed into these peaks after his martyrdom. China is a land of legends and folklore so accounts like these wouldn’t be missed!
There are high peaks, picturesque rocks and rolling ridges around the mountains with deep valleys and interwinding hills. Visitors can enjoy cascading waterfalls and lofty pines which appear to be almost magical in the drifting clouds and mist. Once there, you can feel the greatness of the Creator as you watch four wonders names the Sea of Clouds, the Radiance of the Moonlight, Rays of Sunshine and the Snow in winter. The stunning views of these peaks can’t but leave you open mouthed and awed.
How and When to Visit
There is a cable car in operation for visitors interested in sightseeing. Additionally there is a tramway at a height of 692 meters. The tramway is 2,084 meters in length so you will enjoy the view for 2 kilometers constituting a minimum 6 minutes and 22 seconds.
The average temperature at Tianzi Mountains is 12 degrees Celsius with an average precipitation of 1,800 mm. With 240 frost free days, these mountains are most inviting in April, May, September and October.
Good to Know
- Open time is 7 am to 6 pm.
- Full price ticket costs CNY 245+CNY3 inclusive of insurance and is valid for 3 days for Zhangjiajie National Forest Park, Tianzi Mountain Natural Resource Reserve, Suoxiyu Valley Scenic Area and battery car.
- Seniors over 70 and kids under 1.2 m are free.
- Special fare of CNY 168 is charged for children between 1.2m and 1.5m. along with students under 24 years of age.
- The cable car fare is CNY 52 (one way fare) and CNY 104 (two way fare)
- Regular tourist buses are taken to Sinanyu Ticket Station from Zhangjiajie Central Bus Station.
- There is a battery car facility to explore the natural reserve housing Tianzi Mountains.